Having never lived in Colorado before, it is hard for me to proclaim that summer is finally upon us. It snowed here last week, and the multiple days of rain we’ve been experiencing remind me more of springtime in New England.
What I can proclaim is that Monday is the start of 20 Books of Summer, a reading challenge hosted by Cathy of 746 Books. The idea is to read 20 books from your to-be-read (TBR) stack between Monday, June 3, and the end of summer on Labor Day in the United States, September 2.
Last year, I focused on reading the books that I’d been promising friends and family for months (or, years) that I would read. At the challenge’s end, I read 15 of the 20 books I picked. This year, I selected based solely on if the cover caught my eye as I sorted through my TBR stacks on a cold, rainy Monday last week.
The two exceptions are Niccolò Rising by Dorothy Dunnett, which was on my list last year, and You Would Have Missed Me by Birgit Venderbeke, which was published in 2019 and thus hasn’t been on my TBR list for years. I promised I would read books as soon as they come into my house this year, and this is the first book where I haven’t followed through on that promise to myself.
For those who don’t want to squint and guess the titles, the twenty books I hope to read — arranged in alphabetical order by title — are listed below. For those who want to learn more about the challenge, you can visit Cathy’s blog. And for those who are participating, best of luck with your twenty!
- Assumed Obligation by Kara Louise
- Broken Harbor by Tana French
- Circe by Madeline Miller
- A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole
- Don’t Look Back by Karin Fossum
- Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell
- The Home-Maker by Dorothy Canfield Fisher
- Into the Whirlwind by Evgenia Ginzburg
- The Land of Green Plums by Herta Müller
- The Last Summer by Ricarda Hunch
- The Lower River by Paul Theroux
- The Master by Colm Toibin
- Moloka’i by Alan Brennert
- The Moor’s Account by Laila Lalami
- Niccolò Rising by Dorothy Dunnett
- The Orange Grove by Larry Tremblay
- The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian
- Saplings by Noel Streatfeild
- An Unncessary Woman by Rabih Alameddine
- You Would Have Missed Me by Birgit Vanderbeke