This month and next seem to be popular months for read-alongs in the book blogosphere. I’ve joined a couple of them and have been tempted to join several others. An inability to get access to a book has prevented me from joining all of the read-alongs listed below.
- The Discovery of Heaven (Harry Mulisch) — I would have loved to join Iris of Iris on Books’ read-along of this novel as I have read very little Dutch literature. Try as I might, I have not been able to get my hands on a copy of this book anywhere.
- Food Matters (Mark Bittman) — A friend introduced me to Brown Eyed Baker‘s cooking blog, and I was excited to see that she selected a book on my TBR list for her read-along this month. I have to wait until I get home at the end of the month to join in, but I am excited about reading this book and trying out some of the recipes.
- The Idiot (Fyodor Dostoevsky) — I haven’t had the greatest luck with Russian literature, but Allie of A Literary Odyssey made this novel sound like fun! I plan to join her read-along, although I doubt I will have the first part read by May 19th.
- The Iliad (Homer) — Allie of A Literary Odyssey is also hosting a read-along of Homer’s epic. I would have joined in but I did not want to overextend myself although I might still change my mind.
- The Warmth of Others Suns (Isabel Wilkerson) — Vasilly of 1330V and Doret of The Happy Nappy Bookseller will be hosting a read-along of this award-winning book next month. Unfortunately, my library does not have a copy of Wilkerson’s book.
There is also Reading Buddies hosted by Erin of Erin Reads, which is more informal than some of the read-alongs listed above. The selections for May are Bel Canto by Ann Patchett and Animal Farm by George Orwell. I’ve read the later and highly recommend it!