Over the next two months I will attempt to read Stephen King’s brick of a novel, The Stand. The book has been repeatedly recommended to me by both of my parents so I’m looking forward to reading the novel for myself.
In order to encourage said reading, I will be joining in Trish of Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity‘s read-a-long of the novel, cleverly titled “The Stand…Along”.
I’m so glad I won’t be suffering alone! I have the mass market paperback “uncut” version of the book published in 1991 so I’ll be reading 1,141 pages. Told you the book was a brick! The read-a-long lasts nine weeks, starting June 1 and ending on July 27. The midway point of the book is Chapter 48, which I will hopefully reach by July 1.
My answers to the introductory meme are below the jump. You can find out more about the structure of this read-a-long, the idea behind it, and a list of participants by checking out Trish’s sign-up post.
Get to Know You:
1. What makes you want to read The Stand? My dad gave me his copy of The Stand and told me to read it. I don’t get very many book recommendations from my dad, but I’ve loved most of those novels that he has recommended. (My mom has since seconded the recommendation.)
2. Describe your preconceived notions of The Stand: Huge. Intimidating. Scary. About a global outbreak of some sorts. I think. I may be misinformed.
3. What was the last scary(ish) book you read or movie you saw? I don’t even know. I am NOT a fan of scary books and movies!
4. Which version of the book will you be reading from? Apparently, I have the uncut version.
5. What are you previous experiences with Stephen King? Um, nothing. Now I’m really starting to think that I’m crazy for signing up for this.